Thursday, July 3, 2014

Tutorial Thursday: Using Die Cuts as Masks for Mixed Media


Being a scrapbooker, I love to use La-La Land Crafts die cuts on my layouts! But I also have found another way to use these gorgeous dies on my layouts perfect for mixed media work that is so popular right now in the scrapping world: as masks!!

I have used both the positive die cuts, like this Honeycomb die cut here:



And the negative part of the die cut, like this Berry Flourish die here:



Both of these produce gorgeous masks through which you can use molding paste, mist or ink to make patterns like the ones found on these layouts:



As you can see on both layouts I actually used the die cut and the stencil on the layouts.It is always great to find extra ways to use your dies I think!!!

Both the positive and negative die cut masks are easy to make, just run them through your die cutting machine, cutting edges face down on the paper, using the paper you want.



When you have the die cut finished you can use the actual die cut, as you do with the Honeycomb die, or you can use the negative part of the paper where the die cut has come out from, this works particularly well for the flourish dies. I have used the Berry Flourish here. Just place the mask down on the paper you are using and apply your mist, molding paste or ink through the stencil

  

Your finished results will look like these:  


I added an extra row of honeycomb to this pattern here and then added some mist.



Gorgeous additions you your layouts, cards or other papercrafting mixed media projects!

2 comments:

  1. Love both creations... totally gorgeous.
    Great tutorial. ♡
    Sonia *Sony*
    Sonia-Studio60

    ReplyDelete